Have you ever started a specific diet, met your weight loss goal, and then packed the pounds back on after you stopped the diet? You’re not alone. Diets are not meant for everyone. If you want to lose weight and maintain a healthy weight, keep these tips in mind:
- Don’t skip breakfast. Breakfast gives you the energy you need to get you through the day. If you have ever skipped breakfast on a regular basis, you probably know that you will be starving by the time lunch rolls around, which means you usually eat more at lunchtime, right? People who skip breakfast tend to have higher BMIs than people who eat breakfast.
- Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Fruits and vegetables are packed with fiber, which means they fill you up.
- Exercise. When you exercise regularly, you burn calories and build muscle, both of which help you keep weight off. If you want to burn more calories, up the intensity of your workout and add strength exercises to build muscle. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn, even when you are not exercising.
- Portion control. Today, portion sizes are much bigger than they used to be, which result in added weight gain. Another key factor in weight gain is that more people drink beverages laden with sugar, such as sodas, juice drinks, and sports drinks.
- Reduce technology time. One reason why people get less exercise these days is because they’re addicted to technology. Smartphones, TV, surfing the internet, and playing video games make us less active. Limit screen time to less than 2 hours per day.
You are more likely to be successful with your weight loss goals if you change your bad eating habits with new, healthy habits.